Have you ever been to a potluck in Texas, or pretty much anywhere in the South? Then you have probably seen and tasted King Ranch Chicken Casserole. It is a classic southern casserole that is full of flavor. A combo of chopped chicken, cream of mushroom, tortilla chips, and Rotel makes this dish a hit.
This Simple King Ranch Casserole is a winner because it is so simple and quick to make. There are many variations of this casserole that have been around for years. I have tried to make it several different ways, and this is by far my favorite way.
What’s so special about this version of King Ranch Chicken Casserole, you ask? Simply, the crunch of the tortilla chips makes it have the best texture. In this version, crushed tortilla chips make up the layers instead of corn tortillas. My friend Maddi made it this way when I first moved to town, and I seriously have never tried a better version. This casserole has the perfect texture and the best flavor. Try it today and you will be glad you did.
Here are the ingredients you will need.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 10 oz can rotel any spice level
- 2 cups cooked cubed or shredded chicken
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups Tortilla Chip
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a skillet melt your butter then add your pepper and onion and cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Add in your soups, Rotel and chicken and stir until combined and heated through.
- In a 9″x13″ pan layer 1/3 of your tortilla chips , then 1/3 chicken mixture, and 1/3 of shredded cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers, finishing with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Other Great Dinner Recipes:
Philly Cheesesteak Skillet: Are you trying to eat better but don’t know what to cook? Don’t worry, I have the perfect recipe for you: a Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet. This Philly Cheesesteak skillet is full of flavor and super easy! It only uses a handful of ingredients and one pan. That means there will be fewer dishes for you! That’s a win for any busy mother or wife.
Cheesy Chicken and Sausage Pot Pie: This Cheesy Chicken and Sausage Pot Pie is stuffed with a creamy chicken and vegetable mix and topped with a buttery, flaky pie crust. This cheesy chicken and sausage pot pie is so hearty.
Easy Tamale Casserole: Tamale casserole is simple and delicious. A cornbread topping covers a ground beef filling. It’s so filling and a quick easy dinner.